Saturday, January 15, 2011

Staples to Success

There are certain foods I keep in the house that I've learned about since joining Weight Watchers that are a healthy alternative to other similar foods that are infested with sugar, artificial coloring and words you cannot even pronounce. (Rule: If you cannot pronounce an ingredient, chances are you shouldn't ingest it) These are some of my favorite things to keep around the house to ensure I make good choices.



Fruit! You can't go wrong with fruit! Since the new PointsPlus Program rolled out in November, fruit is ZERO points!! Bananas use to be 2 points, now they are 0!!! The purpose of this is to help people learn to love fruit. I admit, I was a horrible fruit eater, especially when I could grab a Fiber One Chocolate bar for 2 points, who would choose the banana for 2 points instead? But now, I am always stocked up on grapefruits, bananas or any other fruits that are in season. It's a great "grab and go" and it keeps you fuller longer.



VitaTops are a newer favorite of mine. Who needs the whole muffin? When I use to eat muffins I would eat the bottom first and save the best for last...the top! VitaTops are just the tops of the muffin. They come frozen and you can either toast it or pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Again, it's another "grab and go". VitaTops makes lots of other products, but I haven't had the opportunity to try any others because the stores don't sell all varieties, but the website does. These are stuffed with vitamins and 6 grams of fiber. Oh, how I've learned to LOVE fiber filled foods.



Weight Watchers has a plethora of dessert choices. They are all delicious! The GIANT Chocolate Fudge that is pictured really is GIANT. It's huge! Skinny Cow desserts are also a good choice and I will purchase those once in a while, but I mostly stick to Weight Watcher desserts. From chocolate to peanut butter to fruit filled, they have tons of options.



Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats are surprisingly delicious. I prefer the 7 grain over the Whole Wheat - but regardless, I use these for everything from sandwiches to using as a substitute for a bun on a hamburger! I just recently used it as a hamburger bun for the first time and wasn't sure at first, but I didn't want to waste 4 points on a whole wheat hamburger bun when this item is only 2 points. So I toasted it and piled on my regular items (lettuce, pickle, tomato) and it was delicious. I've learned that using items that have less bread product in them taste so much better! I actually can taste more of the lettuce, pickle, tomato and burger rather than it being mostly bun. These are even great as toast in the morning with a little jelly next to your eggs.



Speaking of burgers...I love Boca Burgers. I also get Bubba Turkey Burgers to switch it up. When you add all your veggie topping to your burger (lettuce, pickle, tomato, etc) you can't even tell the difference between a beef, turkey or veggie burger. Honestly. Maybe at first...but I guarantee after the second time you won't even realize it.



Walden Farms has created products that are typically high in calories, fat and carbohydrates and miraculously manipulates them into 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 carb. Unfortunately it is also 0 fiber, 0 protein and 0 other good nutrition, that being said, I keep the ranch dressing in the fridge (only product I've tried so far) because every once in a while I will get tired of the regular fat free dressing and want a nice white creamy dressing. I use to put ranch on everything. But now I can put a little of Walden Farms "ranch" dressing on my salad or use and a dip and it's guilt free. Although it doesn't taste identical to a real ranch dressing, it gets the job done. They have other products such as pancake syrup, chocolate syrup for ice cream and a variety of salad dressings. It's worth checking out but I wouldn't stock up right away without trying first. You can go to their website and find out were products are sold. Meijer sells about 4 or 5 products and it's difficult to find in the store...but it's there.



Giving up Starbucks was something I wasn't going to do and luckily Weight Watchers doesn't encourage you to give up anything you love. I found a delicious drink at Starbucks that is only 4 points for a grande. A Skinny Vanilla or Caramel Latte - only 4 points! I drink coffee at home daily, but I just enjoy my coffee black and I prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee over a regular Starbucks coffee any day, but when I'm wanting something a little sweeter and "fancy" I turn to the Skinny Vanilla Latte! Guilt-free Starbucks if you ask me!

There are many other staples I keep - but this is enough for now. These items give me the chance to eat things I typically would enjoy, but in a healthier, less calorie/fat/carb way to do so. I will try to post some delicious recipes as well that I try.

Until then, stay skinny, readers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You really have learned about and found a lot of alternatives to keep you within your points! That really shows dedication.
    lately, we've been keeping clementines around the house. (Little Girl can grab and peel all on her own!) I think we need some banana's around too. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clementine are our favorite! Although, at Meijer last week they were selling for $5.99 for a 5 lb. box I think. Could have been 3 lbs. Either way. YIKES! They are typically around $3.99. We do love them though.

    ReplyDelete