Friday, January 7, 2011

Inspiration







According to Dictionary.com, the following is the definition of "inspiration":
–noun
1.
an inspiring or animating action or influence: I cannot write poetry without inspiration.
2.
something inspired, as an idea.
3.
a result of inspired activity.
4.
a thing or person that inspires.
5.
Theology .
a.
a divine influence directly and immediately exerted uponthe mind or soul.
b.
the divine quality of the writings or words of a person soinfluenced.
6.
the drawing of air into the lungs; inhalation.
7.
the act of inspiring; quality or state of being inspired.

Here is my story:

I met my husband when I was 17 years old, a junior in high school. Being a three season sport athlete (tennis, basketball, track & field), I was constantly working out and in the best shape of my life. It was easy to do. The more I worked out and stayed fit, the better I performed at my sport. Even after I had graduated, I stayed in a great shape, albeit, working at popular restaurant in our city, I was able to eat what I wanted and wouldn't gain an ounce. In retrospect, I wish I would have listen to my Grandma when she'd tell me, "just wait until it catches up with you." I never believed her. Foolish girl.

I became comfortable in my relationship with my husband (then boyfriend) and I began an office job where I sat behind a computer most of the day and where we celebrated individual birthday by bringing in treats multiple times a month and did company picnics and potlucks. It wasn't a great concoction for weight maintenance. I'm sure you can relate - the weight gain is so gradual that you hardly notice it. Honestly, even my favorite pair of jeans stretched with my newly growing self, so it was even more difficult to notice the increase.

I finally saw a picture of myself that someone took and posted on Facebook, while I was singing karaoke at the local pub. I saw that picture and thought, "How gross. You can see chub everywhere!" Standing in front of an audience while belting out Martina McBride, that is certainly how I didn't want to look.

Obesity runs in my family. My first excuse was, it's heredity, look at my family. That was, in fact, an excuse. Anybody can lose weight and after some of the success I've seen from others, I do not accept it when people say they just can't lose weight, they were built that way. That is not true and it is merely an excuse that hundreds of thousands of obese use. Luckily I had inspiration of my own within my family. My aunt, who lost all her weight completely on her own by changing her diet and increasing her exercise, has maintained her weight now for if not over, at least a decade. My other aunt, who didn't have much to lose, joined Weight Watchers and my uncle followed her, losing 75 lbs that year.

They would tell me that I was putting on weight and that I better catch it. I brushed it off, came up with excuses. I wasn't ready to admit and put forth the effort to lose it. But after seeing that picture, I was ready.

I joined Weight Watchers on February 8, 2010 at 24 years old weighing in for my first time as a member at 188.0 lbs. I am only 5 foot 1 inch and the healthy weight guidelines for my height are between 106 and 132 lbs. I was obese according to the charts. I was slightly fortunate that I seemed to have carried my weight well. I was very proportionate, so I don't believe I looked as heavy as I was. Regardless, 188 lbs is 188 lbs. And unacceptable.
I am now approaching my one year anniversary on Weight Watchers. As of January 3, 2011 I was down a total of 46 lbs, weighing in at 142 lbs. By February 8th, I'd like to have lost at least 50 lbs. It's absolutely an attainable goal. My June 1, 2011 I would like to be at my goal. My goal may change. 116 lbs is my goal and I chose that goal because I was 117 lbs when I met my husband. How great would it be to be one pound less? However, I am not 17 years old anymore, and I will re-assess my goal weight when I reach about 130 lbs and may move my goal weight to between 120-125 lbs.

Lately I've been told I've been an inspiration. I've also been asked if I believe I've been an inspiration. To answer that, I'd say, not intentionally. I do post about my weight loss victory and also my weight loss set backs (everybody has them). I've accepted who I am, I've accepted that I had an eating problem, I've accepted that without hard work and dedication you won't get what you want.

For those beginning your weight loss journey, I hope to provide the blog with tips, advice, success and set backs.

I'll leave you with this first bit of advice:
Dieting will not make you successful. Yes, you will lose what you want to lose but once you lose it you go back to your regular eating habits. That's a diet right? Drastically decrease your caloric intake for fast, quickly results. Successful weight loss is a lifestyle. It's becoming knowledgeable about what you put into your body. You do not have to give up anything you love. Not even chocolate. I promise.

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be" - David Viscott


*Photo #1 was taken in October, 2009 at the Best Buddies Halloween party, with my buddy Lenore.
*Photo #2 was taken December 31, 2010. Notice I'm wearing the SAME shirt.

1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to say the fact that this shirt is EXACTLY the same and YOU were the one changing sizes is completely amazing! Keeping a few pieces of clothing for that very purpose is an excellent idea! Very proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete