Thursday, January 13, 2011

Details, Details, Details!!

I am such a detailed person. A list person. A Post-Its Note kinda gal. Anything that can provide structure and organization in my life I am all about. Certain times are easier than others to stay on a schedule and right now, I'm on a schedule and it feels great. Since this is a weight loss blog, I'll explain how this relates to my eating habits and aids in weight loss.

When I am in a regular school semester, although I have a strict schedule of classes which is good, the rest of the day is pretty much up in the air. Not to mention we have a  lot of freedom in school to come and go as we please if we need to grab something to eat, get something to drink, take a break, etc. Homework load varies weekly - some weeks I don't have time to brush my hair when others I have time to get caught up for the next week in school. My eating habits follow the same trend. I'm usually pretty strict during the school days because I don't eat from the school cafeteria (anymore...oh how I miss the chicken caesar salad) and when I get home it's usually homework then cook dinner, so no big deal.

During breaks (summer/winter/spring) - it's difficult. I don't have a job so I am home all day with many opportunities to eat. I can't say I'd give into temptation because "temptations" are not typically in own house but still eating too much fruit isn't a good thing. Although I maintained losing during my latest break, it is still hard. I began sleeping in until 9 or 10am because I'd get up, make coffee and Facebook for a while and by the time I was hungry I'd eat lunch, then a mid-afternoon snack and dinner. In doing that, I saved a lot of points throughout the day but consequently, missed breakfast, the well-known more important meal of the day. Luckily it's not a habit of mine to skip.

Now I'm student teaching and my days are so structured, it's amazing. I get up at 5:30am and shower. After that I let the dogs out and start the coffee. Then after I do my hair/makeup I head back downstairs for breakfast and coffee. It's great knowing I allow enough time to eat a healthy breakfast before starting my day. The bad thing with my schedule is I have lunch 4th period which is at 11am. I am definitely not use to eating that early and then not again until dinner time which is around 5:30-6pm. While eating a substantial breakfast, then lunch and dinner, I end the day with few points which is good, but I like to use more of my points later in the day rather then early. But there is no worse feeling than standing in front of a bunch of 6th, 7th or 8th graders and feeling hungry or your stomach so loud your students can hear it. So I'm learning how to pace out my allotted points throughout the day. Snacking isn't much of an option with the schedule because if I model appropriate behavior and "NO EATING IN CLASS" is a rule, then we must all abide if we are going to be a community.

A detailed schedule rocks my world. It makes life so much easier and organization is key. I can't wait until I have my own classroom/desk and can organize things in a way that is most sufficient for me. I love my kids, I love my job (pseudo-job, I guess since I don't get paid) and I love my scheduled life. Just because I'm not spontaneous doesn't mean I'm boring - it helps me keep control over things.

How do you keep tabs on things on a daily basis?

2 comments:

  1. KC, I find that even eating lunch at 12:30, I can be really hungry at 3:30 - 4, when I leave work. I have started getting in the habit of packing a snack for the drive home. Special K bars - 2P+, or a banana. It helps me resist the drive thru and scarfing down poor choices once I get home before starting dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. I think I mentioned (if not, I meant to) that keeping some kind of quick grab in the dash of your car is always a good thing - it can curb the hunger pangs until you can get a meal. :-) I'm so proud of you Heather!

    ReplyDelete