Monday, January 17, 2011

Celebrate Yourself - Milestones

A key ingredient that has helped me be successful is setting small, obtainable goals for myself. It's great to say you want to lose 50, 75 or 100 lbs but what is going to help you get there? What about the first 10 lbs you lose? Isn't that a success in itself? Celebrate it! Here are my goals - some that I've achieved and some I am still working towards:
50 lbs charm I received at my meeting today

Committing to a lifestyle change: Completed Feb. 8, 2010 (188 lbs)
5% Goal: Completed Mar. 8, 2010 (178.4 lbs)
10% Goal: Completed Apr. 5, 2010 (168.8 lbs)
25 lbs lost: Completed Jun. 1, 2010 (161.0 lbs)
15% Goal: Completed Jun. 21, 2010 (157.4 lbs)
20% Goal: Completed Oct. 18, 2010 (149.8 lbs)
25% Goal: Completed Dec. 13, 2010 (140.0 lbs)
50 lbs lost: Completed Jan. 17, 2011 TODAY!! (137.2 lbs)
30% Goal: TBD - Weight needs to be 133.6 lbs
35% Goal: TBD - Weight needs to be 122.2 lbs
GOAL: TBD - Currently 116.0 lbs - Could change


The goals I've highlighted are those that Weight Watchers sets for members. I don't know about you, but I love a good celebration so I set more goals for myself so that I could celebrate more frequently! There are other goals I like to set, NSV goals. NSV = Non-Scale Victories! Those are almost more fun to celebrate than number goals. A NSV for example would be fitting into your "skinny" jeans that you saved but may have thought to yourself, "I'll never fit into these again." Another NSV might be making a good food choice while out at a restaurant when before you might have chosen the high calorie/fat food. Knowing what you know now - you can make a better informed decision about what you put into your body. Maybe you could barely walk a mile on the treadmill when you began working out, but today you ran a mile or maybe two...NSV!!! Celebrate these things, as little as they may be!

What are some NSV you have celebrated or maybe should have celebrated but you didn't think they meant much because it wasn't exactly the number you were looking for on the scale?

As you achieve your goals you've set for yourself, it's inevitable that your clothes start to become loose. I find that bittersweet. For a while I was excited that my clothes were getting loose but I still knew I had a lot of weight to lose to buying new clothes didn't seem very economical. I began feel like I looked like a bum going out in baggy clothes when really I wanted to show off my new slimming curves! I walked into a Goodwill store near my house, reluctant at first because I didn't want to admit I was looking to buy clothes from a resale shop. Now, I go to Goodwill a few times a month and buy jeans! Name brand - designer jeans for $4.99! Now I don't care if they don't fit me in a month, I just recycle them back to Goodwill and buy a new pair. It's the smartest way to keep your wardrobe updated on a budget.

Start to set small, obtainable goals for yourself. They don't even have to be weight loss related, but if you get into the habit of setting goals you will be more likely to achieve those goals and be happier with yourself.

Until next time, I'm signing off 50 lbs lighter than 47 weeks ago.

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration and when I have my bad scale days (up .2 today) I keep plugging forward knowing that I am in this for the long term and I am changing my body to be healthier (even if it resists some days by not showing it on the scale.

    My scale goals are an average 5 pounds a month. I know that seems small when some people lose 5 pounds in a week, but in a year it will be 60 pounds gone, 2 years, 120 and much closer to where I want to be for better health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great goal. When I thought about it today - if at week 52 I could be at 52 lbs I would be totally ecstatic! That's an average of a pound a week. There have definitely been weeks where I gained more than a pound (ahem, Christmas I gained 4 lbs!) - but then losing more than 1 lbs averages it back on track. Some months you will lose more than 5 and maybe some months less. I think it's totally and obtainable goal!

    ReplyDelete