Monday, January 2, 2012

Believe and Achieve



I made the personal decision this holiday season to loosen my mostly strict dietary ways. I reminded myself of last holiday season when I did not fully enjoy myself and was strict enough that I lost weight throughout December. That is where I was though, in 2010. I was still in the phase of needing to lose at least 25-30 more pounds and it was more important to me not to eat that cookie or have an "adult" beverage. In 2011, I have made it so close to my personal goal of 125 pounds and I am so proud and confident of the way that I look now that I made it my decision to enjoy these holidays, guilt-free.
The last time I weighed in was December 12th. I weighed 127.4 lbs. Today I weighed in, after barely tracking my food intake since December 12th at 131.6 lbs. A gain of 4.2 pounds. You know what? I own it. It was a personal decision and I knew I'd gain and I am absolutely, 100% okay with that. Quite honestly, at 131.6 lbs I'm still so proud of the way I look and feel.

I was rockin' the new bod on NYE...if this is 131 lbs, I can't wait for 125 lbs.



I was keeping in mind the saying, "It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Years that matters, but what you eat between New Years and Christmas."

That was my motto for this holiday season. Although I didn't go crazy, I did eat one too many cookies and I indulge in some mid-week drinks that I otherwise wouldn't, and I enjoyed them! And it's O.K.! I remember a year ago when I was very conscious of my holiday choices and I'm glad that I was like that. It makes me appreciate that I've built a lifestyle for myself in the past two years that allow me to enjoy the 2 weeks of the holiday season in December. And I know that once it's over, I get right back on track.

This year, I'm not going to obsess over the numbers like I have. I look great. I feel great. That is what is important and what I need to embrace. Not the small gains or small losses on the scale...although still important until I hit my goal, I'm not going to get down on myself for being 6 lbs from goal.

I am starting off 2012 right. I made a huge pot of fresh vegetable soup and stocked the fridge and freezer with veggies and my "go-to" foods. I'm ready to take 2012 and make it my year! February 8th marks my 2nd anniversary of living a healthy lifestyle. This is just the beginning.

I'm not one to make resolutions because they are typically meaningless and are forgotten by the second week of the new year. But I have a few goals for 2012...


  • Hit goal by Feb 8th
  • Maintain another year in a healthy lifestyle
  • Run a half-marathon
Simple goals. Obtainable goals.

2012 is the year to believe and achieve my friends. 

5 comments:

  1. WOW! A half marathon!?! I'm impressed (again)!
    How are you training for that?
    Jacquelyn
    PS...I tried to post this a minute ago, but it didn't look like it went, so I'm back. Hopefully, this is not a duplicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, only see it once. :) I haven't started training yet. I need to find one first. Once it starts warming up, maybe more towards April I'll start looking more for one. I can run up to 7 miles right now...that's the most I've ran outside. There are lots of training programs, I'm sure I'll just google a half marathon training guide and follow it once the time is right. I might have to wait until school is out so I can really focus 100% on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your attitude! I did the same thing over my vacation, and it was so worth it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we did our half, we "only" trained up to 8 mIles, on the advice of our triathlete friend. She said, "if you can run 8, you can run 13...save it for the big day." Not sure if it was the best idea ever, but it worked. We had a great run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J.D. I've heard the same thing...that the last 5 miles come off adrenaline. Once it gets closer and I choose a date I will look more into it. Since I've never ran one before at least I'll have a personal best right off the top! :)

    ReplyDelete