Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Simply...Experimenting

If you are a regular reader of mine, you know that I have been struggling to get to my personal goal weight. If you are a Weight Watcher member that has been in some of the same meetings as I have, you know that I'm terrified of trying the Simply Filling technique. This week I'm taking a leap of faith and trying it out.

Yesterday I weighed in at 130.0 - and while that's 2.4lbs more than I weighed in two weeks ago, I wasn't really upset about it. I know that I had been tracking very inconsistently over the past two weeks - and that's why I hadn't even weighed in the week before. So, I take accountability for it and I own my 130.0lbs. It's still a healthy weight for me so I'm not worried about it - but I'd like to sit comfortably in the 120's.

I am all about changing things up when it comes to my weight loss. I look forward to winter when I switch from running everyday to indoor workouts, and now I'm looking forward to spring to continue my running again. I was talking yesterday with my husband how for me, no other workout compares to running. When I consistently run throughout the week I have flat, defined abs. Once I stop running, while my stomach stayed flat it isn't as defined, even though I still workout. I missing running. I also like to change things up when it comes to what I eat. When we switched over from the Momentum plan to the PointsPlus plan, a lot of people were hesitant. Like them, I had lost most of my weight on the Momentum and it's difficult for some people to abandon something that worked for them. I saw it as a change in the right direction - a kick start for our bodies. And of course, it was. My first week on PointsPlus I had lost something like 4 pounds which is an insane amount of weight for me.

While we've always had the Simply Filling option, it's something that I was very scared of. There is little tracking involved and you don't have to weigh out your portions. Simply Filling is a technique used when you eat only Power Foods, or, whole grains, lean proteins, low fat dairy, etc. The only thing you track are any foods that are not Power Foods and you have 49 PointsPlus to use for those. On this technique, you can eat until you are satisfied. That is the part that scared me - do I know when I'm really satisfied? I know that I can eat and eat and eat, that's how I got here in the first place. However, looking at this as a change, I'm going to try this for a week and see how it reflects on the scale. If it goes down, perhaps I'll continue this into next week. If it goes up, I won't be upset, as I'm just simply experimenting.

Yesterday was my first day trying Simply Filling and my verdict so far....I love it!

Here was my intake yesterday:

Breakfast:
Coffee, black, no sugar
1 Hard-boiled egg
1 Weight Watchers Maple Oatmeal
8 oz. of Skim Milk

Lunch:
Weight Watchers Creme Brulee Smoothie with Strawberries
1 small clementine

Dinner:
Venison roast
Brussel Sprouts
Sm. Sweet Potato

Dessert:
Tall glass of skim milk
Strawberries w/Splenda

It was completely foreign to not weigh out my protein or potato, but liberating at the same time. While I didn't "track" my foods, I still kind of did. While they aren't worth and PointsPlus values, I still tracked them so I could review my food intake at the end of the week. My lunch would typically be larger, but I had been running around and didn't get home until 3pm and didn't want to eat a larger lunch that close to dinner.

I'm excited to see the outcome of this and I'm keeping it positive. Hopefully my experience will encourage others who have wanted to try Simply Filling but just aren't sure about it. I can report, although I don't count it because it's Tuesday, not Monday, but I weighed myself this morning, with sweatpants on and I weighed in at 128.5lbs. I know you can't rely on an accurate weight throughout the week, and only rely on the one weigh-in that is the same time and day each week, so I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

That being said, if this is what 130.0 lbs looks like that I am a happy lady!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Annika! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an inspiration you are to sooo many of us..i have been doing simply filling for months and actually love it..theres more flexibility to it and i have more or less learned the list so even if we are out im ok to grab something to eat and know what i can and cant have

    ReplyDelete