Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tortoise Vs. Hare

Which character have you emulated during your weight loss journey? I am far more like the tortoise.

I was reviewing my weight loss numbers throughout the 15 months I've been doing Weight Watchers. Unlike a lot of others, I find it much more difficult to shed the extra weight in the summertime. Winter for me, is easy to lose weight. My table chart of weigh-ins reflect this pattern. This intimidates me a bit for the summer is now steadily approaching.

I thought I would share my rate of weight loss so that if anyone reading is having a tough time with their rate, please know, you aren't alone. So let's just review...

I joined Feb 8, 2010 at 188lbs

Feb 8 - Feb 22: -5.6 lbs (2 weeks)
Feb 22 - Mar 15: -12.6 lbs (hit 5% week before Mar 15) (3 weeks for another 5lbs)
Mar 15 - Mar 29: -15 lbs ( 2 weeks for 5lbs)
Mar 29 - Apr 19: -20.4 lbs (3 weeks for 5 more lbs)
Apr 19 - May 31: -27 lbs (6 weeks for 5 more lbs)
May 31 - June 21: - 30.6lbs (3 weeks, 5lbs)
This is where it gets scary...
June 21 - Oct 4: - 37.4lbs (15 weeks for 5lbs!!!! SUMMER!!)
Oct 4 - Oct 25: -41.2lbs (3 weeks for 5 lbs. Back to normal)
Oct 25 - Dec 6: -45.2lbs (6 weeks = 5 lbs. Holiday time)
Dec 6 - Jan 17: -50.8 (6 weeks = 5lbs. Over Christmas AND my birthday...not too bad)
Jan 17 - Mar 14: -55.6lbs (8 weeks = 5lbs)
Mar 14 - Today: - 58.6 lbs. (11 weeks and counting...)

See this pattern?? Eeeek! Of course, the more you have to lose the faster you lose it. "The last 10 lbs are the hardest," yadda yadda.

After thinking about it, I'm really okay with the pace at which I've been losing. I do know some who lost 50+ lbs in under a year but I have to admit I did not start seriously working out until about 3 weeks ago. That could have an effect on my rate of loss. I have 8.6 lbs more to lose and I'd really like to see that before summers' end. It's possible. It's definitely possible.

I guess my point is...

It doesn't matter which character you decide to portray, as long as you finish the race...right? I did not get into this journey expecting to see physical changes in the first few weeks...months even. I did not set a deadline for myself because in the case I didn't meet that deadline, I did not want to give up entirely. I'm taking this as a marathon, not a sprint. And the best part is...I think I see the finish line, there in the close distance.



2 comments:

  1. You're stronger than me! I am definitely a Hare personality with losing this baby weight. I have been obsessed with it since 2 hours after I had him! lol My original goal was to have it all off by my birthday...well that has come and gone....oh well! I have not set another "goal". Maybe I will once I am done BF, but we will see. You look amazing and I don't think you need to lose anymore. BUT I do know how it feels to have people tell you that, yet you want to reach your own weight goals! Just keep up your hard work. You are an inspiration to so many!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think perhaps you were a Hare because you had been working so hard right up until you had Jack and the it was strange for you to have to take some time off...You've been thin for a long time. I think since it was my first time being larger and having to lose weight, I didn't know what to expect...? You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete