Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Few Good Recipes

Since school is now over and I have more time on my hands than ever, I have been back into the routine of planning out and shopping for our weekly menu. I find this is a great way to avoid any last minute feelings of "I don't want to cook tonight, let's order a pizza instead." Knowing that I have all the necessary ingredients and I take out the protein the night before to defrost really helps me stay on track. Plus, it's always fun to try new recipes! 


I thought that I would share a few of this weeks specials:


I made these Saturday night. We had Venison Tacos and I thought this sounded perfect for our "Mexican" theme. These cupcakes are very moist and easier eaten with a fork. My little sister AND husband absolutely loved these. This made 18 cupcakes. This came from another blog I follow http://www.skinnytaste.com/.


Pina Colado Cupcakes – 3PP unfrosted, 4PP frosted
1 box yellow cake mix, I used sugar free
20 oz can crushed pineapples not drained
 Mix well with electric mixer.
 Bake at cake box directions

Frosting:
 1 can 20 oz crushed pineapples drained well.
8 oz 1/3 fat free cream cheese
1 cup coconut
1/4 cup sugar

mix well
frost cupcakes and refrigerate. 


Monday evening I made this next recipe. I received it from one of the members in my Weight Watcher meeting. It was super easy and really delicious. Quick to throw together, so I recommend for someone with children. There is nothing in this that kids wouldn't eat. I also find that it re-heats well. With only two of us in the house, it's important for me to find recipes that would be good leftover since we are both picky when it comes to re-heating. 



Chicken Bruchetta Bake
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 40 mins
6 servings, 1 cup each- 7 PP

-  1 can (14.5 oz) diced petite tomatoes
-  1 pkg. (6 oz) Stove Top Stuffing mix for chicken
-  1/2 cup water
-  3 garlic cloves, minced
-  1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
-  1 tsp. dried basil leaves
-  1 cup part skim low moisture shredded mozzarella cheese

1.  Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Mix tomatoes, stuffing mix, water and garlic just until stuffing mix is moistened.
3.  Layer chicken, basil and cheese in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
4.  Top with stuffing.  Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is done. 

Last night I made these final two recipes. I wasn't entirely crazy about the Italian Skillet Chicken. It wasn't bad tasting and you get a lot for the PP value, it just was not a favorite of mine. I would make it again, just not as often as others. This would be good with a side of whole wheat penne, because of the veggies and crushed tomatoes it would mix well. I made the risotto listed below instead.

Italian Skillet Chicken
PointsPlus™ Value:    4
Servings:  4
Preparation Time:  10 min
Cooking Time:  25 min

Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil   
2 medium onion(s), chopped   
1 medium carrot(s), chopped   
1 stalk(s) (medium) celery, sliced   
3/4 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of all visible fat
and cut into strips   
14 1/2 oz canned crushed tomatoes   
1 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried   
1/2 tsp table salt   
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground   
Instructions
§        Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.



Another recipe from a WW member, I was nervous to make this. I had never made risotto before (unless it was a "just add water") and I absolutely love it. So I thought I would give it a try. It turned out delicious. Honestly tasted like risotto made with cream but it is much more healthy. You really get a lot for the PP value of 5. It is slightly time consuming as you need to constantly be stirring and adding the broth, but it's definitely delicious. 

Asparagus Risotto
5 pp per serving; 15 min prep; 34 min cook; serves 6
§  1/2 tsp salt for cooking water
§  1 lb asparagus trimmed and cut into bite size pcs
§  2 sprays cooking spray
§  1 Tbsp unsalted butter
§  3 small shallots, minced
§  1 cup uncooked arborio rice
§  1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
§  4 cups canned chicken broth
§  1/3 cup grated parm. cheese
§  1/8 tsp table salt or to taste
§  1/8 tsp black pepper or to taste
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.  Fill large bowl with ice water.  Add asparagus to pot and blanch for 2 mins.  Immediately remove asparagus from pot and place them into ice water to stop them from cooking and help retain color; set aside.
Coat medium pot with cooking spray and set over medium heat.  Melt butter.  Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently until transulucent, about 5-7 mins.  Add rice and toss to coat; cook for 2 mins.  Add lemon juice, cook, until all lemon juice has been absorbed, stirring continuously so rice does not stick to sides of pot, about 1 min.
Meanwhile bring broth to simmer and keep warm.
Add 1/2 cup of hot broth to pot at a time, stir until absorbed.  Repeat with remaining broth making sure each addition of broth is absorbed before adding more.  This process takes about 20 mins.
When rice turns creamy and just done (should be slighly chewy and not mushy), remove pot from heat, and cheese and stir well.  Stir in asparagus, season with salt and pepper.  Yields 1 scant cup per serving. 
NOTE:  you can swap white wine for lemon juice and/or spinach for asparagus (could affect PP value).

Coming up for the rest of the week are Venison Gyros with a homemade Tatziki sauce paired with a Chickpea and Feta Salad and Chicken Asian Wraps paired with an Edamame Salad. I'll post those later in the week after I've made them. Please let me know if you try any of these recipes and how your family liked them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment