Saturday, March 26, 2011

Stressed = Desserts


I always get a laugh when I see that the word "stressed" is "desserts" backwards. It makes me think that someone, somewhere, in the land of creating words and definitions has a sick, sick sense of humor.

I'm not a dessert person, really. I have mentioned before that my weakness is more of the salty snacks, rather than the sweet. At this point, I have a good hold on my salt cravings and rarely give in. Recently, I have been really stressed out. The kind of stressed out that makes my face look like that of my high school students, which only stresses me out more. I typically handle stress pretty well, most the time I don't even realize I'm stressed when others see I am. I believe my attention to detail and my time management abilities reduce a lot of stress I would otherwise experience.
All week I have had a craving for cake. It is really strange and I almost laugh at the craving because I know although I crave it, that does not mean I'll eat it. Anyone who knows me, knows I don't really even like cake. Frosting hurts my teeth in a wicked way. It is just a weird craving. Yesterday at work (student teaching), we celebrated a birthday for a very important person at the school. There was a potluck brunch, no big deal - but then I saw that beautiful cake! Funny thing was, as soon as I saw the cake in all its' frosting glory - I lost my craving. In no way am I saying that I'm superior in that I have the ability for cake to look disgusting after craving it for a week, it was just a strange feeling. And it is not to say I don't give into other cravings. After being sick and barely eating for four days (lost 3.2 lbs), I craved nothing more than a gyro and fries once my appetite returned. And you can bet I ate that gyro and fries. I worked really hard that week to maintain the 3.2 lbs loss from being ill and luckily I had.

Back to handling stress....

On one hand, I am glad that when I am stressed, I'm not an eater. On the other hand, I become a very quiet, secluded person, which is just as bad. I don't want to do anything, have any conversation with anyone and just be under my covers alone. Last night, Kristian suggested that I go to my favorite pub, have a few drinks and sing some songs since it was karaoke night. I was still in my "mood" and could not make a decision which I also don't like. Indecisiveness is just not me. I made the decision to get out for a few hours and I think it's just what I needed. I had not been out in quite a while and karaoke always makes me happy, I received a ton of compliments from some of the regulars I had not seen in a while, and I even danced in some activity points. One friend told me to "go eat a pork chop or something." While I know I'm not at goal yet and I'm at the very top of my healthy weight guideline, I never imagined I would be in a conversation where someone is telling me it looks like I need a little food in my belly. It's a good feeling.

With all that being said, I am back to my regular, happy, chipper self today. I begin some personal training today to tone my newly defined abs and arms to be ready for swimsuit season. I think that is just what I need to shed these last 10 lbs or so and hit goal. Oh, I also have a phone interview with Weight Watchers in two weeks, to hopefully become a leader of my own meetings. I am so excited to being that new journey.

Until then, I'll leave you with this.

"A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety."

No comments:

Post a Comment